The following list outlines a small portion of the main fields of study we will focus on our lessons. As the local weather conditions are perfect for many more activities, please keep checking back. We are constantly adding new things to it!
OLIVE TREES – OLIVE OIL
- Local olive trees varieties and their particular features/characteristics.
- Nurturing of new olive trees.
- Grafting and plants improvement methods.
- Growing up and handling of young plants.
Management of olive groves (Studying of particular old olive trees in place – see photos)
- Pruning – olive tree shape and size handling according to variety and location.
Handling of pruning remands and biomass.
- Plowing and trimming of olive groves.
The necessity of olive grove yard soil fertility.
Bio – fertilizers.
- Harvesting – management of produce.
- Extraction of olive oil (cold and hot water methods, advantages, disadvantages).
- Stowing, keeping of olive oil
- Olive oil standards and categories (extra virgin olive oil, virgin olive oil, industrial olive oil).
Olive oil standards according to the variety of the tree.
- Olive oil use (pharmaceutical, food, dairy, industrial).
- Soap production.
- Olive oil benefits in health.
- Ways of testing olive oil quality standards by traditional and advanced methods.
- Olive oil world market.
WINE – VINEYARDS – WINE MAKING – DISTILLING
- Local Kefalonian wine varieties (17 typical local wine varieties available for demonstration, tasting, studying and training).
- Nurturing (local traditional methods).
- Growing up of new vineyard (Three local traditional methods).
References according to microclimate necessities for each one variety.
- Pruning (particular pruning necessities for each variety).
- Plowing and oil trimming of vineyard.
- Bio – fertilizers.
- Vine shape and size management.
- Vine and grape diseases and ecological protection in association with the weather and microclimate.
- Grapes trimming and harvesting.
- Wine making traditional portable methods and relevant parameters, concerning the variety and weather conditions.
- Differences between local wines and benefits of each variety.
- Wine storing and aging.
A lot of our wine in our farm comes from the past (40 year old wine, of various varieties is available in our celar).
SEASONAL VEGETABLE PRODUCTION:
- Organic Seasonal Horticulture Planting and Growing
- Field Preparation and Plowing
AROMATIC AND PHARMACEUTICAL PLANTS:
- Collection of native aromatic and pharmaceutical plants, identification, classification and use for cosmetics (production of soaps and creams)
- Research and harvesting of the plants
OTHER FARM ACTIVITIES:
GENERAL AND SPECIFIC ACTIVITIES:
- Deep plowing for cultivation of wheat and/or corn
- Harvesting of olives, olive oil extraction, pruning of olive trees and vegetable
- Harvesting of grapes
- Wine making, vine pruning
- Non seasonal tree and vegetable study
- Tree and vegetable grafting
- Care of farm’s animals
- Traditional baking and food preparation( bread making techniques, fruit preserves, local recipes)
- Production of various local varieties of cheese
- Farm machinery inspection, maintenance and repairs
- Training in the use and handling of cultivation machinery
SPECIAL FARM ACTIVITIES:
- Traditional stone building constructions
- Natural wood processing
ENVIRONMENTAL ART, LANDSCAPE ART, LAND ART:
The Research and Creation field can be addressed to Architects, Landscape Artists and Architects, Land planners, South Artists, Designers, Video Artists, Environmentalists, etc…
Wind harp installation can be supported in our farm. Please send us the average space needed for each harp prior to your arrival.